In 2016, the Park Scholarships program became the new home of the Gerald H. Elkan Distinguished Lecture on Science & Society, formerly housed within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and named for the beloved Park Faculty Scholar for the Classes of 2002, 2006, 2009, and 2011. Established by Dr. Elkan’s former students, associates, and friends in honor of his 40-year career as a microbiology professor at NC State, this lectureship supports an annual talk at NC State by a prominent thought leader.
Gerald H. Elkan Distinguished Lecture in Science and Society Selection Committee
- Gerald Elkan, Professor Emeritus, Microbiology, NC State University
- Amy Grunden, Associate Professor, Microbiology, NC State University
- Sarah Ho, Associate Director, Park Scholarships
- Jim Ligon, VP Regulatory Affairs and Stewardship, Agrivida, Inc.
- TJ Schneeweis, Retired Microbiology Laboratory Supervisor, NC State University
- Mark Stowers, Vice President and Global Head, Research and Development, HM.Clause
- Reneé Tutchton, Assistant Director, Park Scholarships
- Mark Voelker ’02, OpenStack Architect, VMware
- Park Scholarships Distinguished Speakers Committee