Park Under-Resourced Assistance (PURA) provides a direct outlet of support for under-resourced applicants to North Carolina State University and the Park Scholarships program. Current Park Scholars have created a community that seeks to aid applicants during the admissions process in order to develop their application. The program invites under-resourced students to interact with the community and grow alongside current Park Scholars.
- Prompts should be included with your essays so that editors can identify the questions you’re answering.
- Essays should be presented in a font size of 10, 11, or 12 and style of Times New Roman, Arial, or Calibri.
- Individual essays should be submitted to only one editor in Google Classroom, but you may utilize different editors for different essays (do not send the same essay to multiple editors).
- Utilize the biography slideshow of Park Scholars to choose an editor for your essays. Editors are subject to change based on availability.
- After you have selected an editor, to submit your essays:
- Upload essay prompts and responses as a single document onto your personal Google Drive; if sending multiple essays to an editor, these should be included in one document
- Open the Google Classroom (go.ncsu.edu/pura-classroom)
- Select the assignment window with the name of your chosen editor
- Attach the essay file by selecting the “Add or create” button on the right-hand side, under “Your Work”
- Editor comments and edits will be made within the essay document and/or the private comments section of the assignment window.
- PURA is designed to work with exclusively under-resourced students. Under-resourced students are defined under a broad scope of identities, including, but not limited to, students who are first-generation, are low-income, attend an overpopulated school, are from rural areas, and who identify with other marginalized populations.
- Only NC State University and Park Scholarships application essays will be accepted for edits.
- This program is built to provide constructive feedback about how candidates share their stories and life experiences, not to assist in writing essays for applicants.
- Students must abide by the deadlines for essay submission set by each editor to allow time for review and feedback before the Nov. 1 application deadline. First-draft edits/feedback will be provided no later than Oct. 25, 2020.
- Participation in the PURA program does not guarantee applicants will advance through the Park Scholarships selection process or receive admission to the university.
Organizers: Nicholas Oyarzun ’24, email@example.com, and Samantha Dotson ’24, firstname.lastname@example.org
Park Scholarships Staff Contact: Assistant Director for Recruiting and Selection
Term: 2020-2021 application year
Duration: Fall semester 2020
PURA Deadline: The deadline to sign up was Oct. 21, 2020
Park Scholarships Application and NC State Application Deadline: Nov. 1, 2020