Meet Park Faculty Scholar Cyndi Edgington

Cyndi Edgington

Cyndi Edgington is a teaching associate professor of STEM education at the NC State College of Education. With a passion for math and helping others, she inspires the next generation of STEM educators. She loves getting to work closely with student teachers and guide their transformation from students to new teachers. 

Edgington is a three-time graduate of NC State. Her family is full of Pack pride. Her husband is a 1992 graduate of the College of Engineering and both of her children attend NC State. Zak is a senior majoring in computer engineering and Emilie is a sophomore studying nutrition. In her spare time, Edgington enjoys gardening, hiking, and yoga.

Edgington and Kanton Reynolds are the Park Faculty Scholars for the Class of 2023.

What is the best part about being a professor at NC State?

Definitely the students. I have the privilege of working with students from all walks of life and from various backgrounds. They all have a passion for mathematics and for helping kids become lifelong learners of mathematics, despite the challenges that classroom teachers face. It is inspiring and getting to know them enriches my life.

What inspired you to become a Park Faculty Scholar? 

After mentoring a few Park Scholars and learning more about the program, I was interested in being in a role that would allow me to work with high-achieving students across the university. I wanted to become more involved with supporting students to engage in service and leadership within the NC State community and beyond.

Share a story about a Park Scholar who inspired you.

Last summer, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. One day during my treatment, I received a gift in the mail – a wooden box filled with personal notes from Park Scholars. I don’t know who sent the box, but the encouraging notes and well wishes meant so much to me during a really difficult time.

Which Park experience are you most excited about?  

I love Learning Lab II and the idea of learning about leadership through a national issue in Washington, D.C. I had the opportunity to attend Learning Lab II with the Class of 2022 during the fall of 2019. I really enjoyed getting to know a new Park class and learning how leaders are approaching mass incarceration reform, as well as spending time in our nation’s capital. I am looking forward to experiencing a joint Learning Lab II with the Classes of 2023 and 2024 this year, who have chosen education as their LLII topic.

What has been the most surprising or challenging aspect of your involvement with the Park Scholarships program so far?  

The most challenging aspect for me has been trying to develop authentic, meaningful relationships with so many students. I am used to teaching small classes, so working with a group of 40 students is a challenge. I value time to get to know each of them. Given the pandemic and the fact that Park Scholars are very busy students, it has been challenging to get to know them in meaningful ways.

What advice would you offer to Park Scholars? 

My advice to Park Scholars is to take advantage of the resources offered to you through the university and the Park Scholarships program. From research, travel, academic support, and emotional support, there are so many programs and people that want to help you reach your goals.

What is one thing someone might not know about Park Scholars?  

They drink more juice boxes than any group of students I’ve ever known.

Learn more about Dr. Edgington