Big Plans, Bright Futures: Meet Some of the 2020 CHASS Graduates

graduation cap

Excerpt from article by Heather Moylan | CHASS | Full Article

They walked the bricks, pulled all nighters in Hill and Hunt, and enjoyed a cone (or two) of Howling Cow — each step marking their journey at NC State.

But this Pack is different. 

The Class of 2020 continues to show its strength in the face of adversity. With commencement exercises postponed, they’re finding new ways to celebrate their hard work — while reflecting on the past.

Some will pursue new jobs. Others will further their education. But together, they’ve proved that the strength of the wolf really is the Pack.

Meet some of this year’s Humanities and Social Sciences graduates:

Jayna Lennon

Park Scholar Jayna Lennon received a 2020 Mathews Medal, the highest non-academic distinction awarded to NC State students.

Majors: Arabic and Political Science

Minor: Nutrition

Hometown: Newark, Delaware

Advice to my freshman self: It’s okay to feel uncertain. Try to embrace wherever you are in your journey and never stop looking for chances to explore and grow. You’re going to be just fine. 

What’s next?: I am taking a year off from school to move home and take a moment to breathe and reevaluate my passions and goals. As of now, I think I will also apply to graduate programs in sociology during that year off. 

two students standing with presidential candidate
Jayna Lennon (right) during her first and last years at NC State.

Abby Scheper

Park Scholar Abby Scheper served as lead facilitator for the Park Scholarships freshman retreat. 

Major: Philosophy

Minors: Art and Design; Health, Medicine and Human Values; Genetics

Hometown: Charlotte, North Carolina

Reflecting on my college career: All of my professors have taken a genuine interest in me as a person and in my work, and they have advanced my philosophical skills greatly. NC State gave me everything that I could have asked to have in a university – I have no regrets.

What’s next?: I recently committed to the University of Virginia’s Law School. 

students wearing NC State gear
Abby Scheper and her brother Ethan (left), both Park Scholars, share a love for cheering on the Wolfpack.

Naila Segule

Park Scholar Naila Segule has earned the Payne International Development Fellowship.

Majors: Interdisciplinary Studies (Self-Design: Global Health Communication and Development) and Biomedical Engineering

Hometown: Cary, NC

Advice to my freshman self: Don’t be afraid to try something new!

What’s next?: I am the first Payne USAID Fellow from NC State! I am going to be completing a master’s degree in environmental health from Harvard University. This will be followed by five years of working at USAID as a foreign service health officer. I am starting my public health career by interning at the NC Department of Public Health this summer. 

students studying abroad
Naila Segule during her first and last years at NC State.

This post was originally published in College of Humanities and Social Sciences.