Aisha Mahmood ’24 is working to place humanitarianism at the forefront medicine

Aisha Mahmood ’24 graduated in May with two Bachelor’s degrees, one in Genetics and one in International Studies. Aisha is from Charlotte, NC, and is heading to UNC School of Medicine in the fall. She reflected on her time in the Park program and what inspired her to pursue medicine.

When I was four, I fixed a Hoover WindTunnel vacuum. Unlodging the plastic attachment granted me the title of our family’s “future engineer” (classic South Asian family move). Throughout elementary and middle school, I excelled in mathematics; in high school, I opted for the engineering track. Although I enjoyed the logical thinking embedded in my classes, there was a sense of fulfillment that seemed to be missing. 

My first exposure to patient care was when my family and I learned of my grandfather’s esophageal cancer diagnosis during my high school years. We visited India and I spent months by my grandfather’s side. My father wore his doctor hat, and I became his apprentice. As I aided my father in administering medication through my grandfather’s feeding tube and attentively guided him through supervised exercises, I learned valuable lessons in care. Witnessing firsthand the consequential impact a dedicated healthcare professional had on my grandfather’s road to recovery, I felt an undeniable pull. 

In college, I sought opportunities to explore my budding interest further. Scribing at Urban Ministries of Wake County was my first intimate experience in a clinical setting. Despite language barriers and the discomfort often associated with deeply personal health-related conversations, I observed the physician form meaningful connections with her patients. I envisioned myself taking on a similar role in the future. 

During the summer before my junior year, I participated in a Counseling and Humanitarian Action study abroad program in Amman, Jordan. I was selected as an intern with the Jordan Health Aid Society, which provides healthcare and protective programming for vulnerable populations in Jordan. Stationed in the Zaatari Refugee Camp, I observed clinicians in the Women and Children’s Center and conducted research in the organization’s family planning unit. My research was primarily centered on enhancing the efficiency of the family planning service supply chain. This involved assessing the efficacy of family planning service delivery to individual caravans and providing remote visitation options. My experiences in the Zaatari Camp exposed me to the consequences of fragmented networks of sexual and reproductive health services on clinical outcomes. This experience has instilled in me an interest in supporting the needs of women through the provision of coordinated prenatal and postpartum care, particularly in vulnerable communities that lack adequate healthcare resources. 

Interns at the Zaatari Refugee Camp in Amman, Jordan (Aisha, third from the right)

After returning to the States, I joined the Kleiner Lab in NC State’s Department of Plant and Microbial Biology. The opportunity to engage in scientific exploration and discovery during my junior and senior years was immensely rewarding. I am grateful for the knowledge I gained from the exceptional team of mentors and peers in Dr. Kleiner’s lab. Under the guidance of my Ph.D. mentor, I designed a project investigating the role of type VI secretion system proteins in microbe-root and microbe-microbe interactions in maize. Through this experience, I have developed an appreciation for the language of science. I am excited to contribute to innovation and discovery in the field of medicine in the future. 

Aisha’s poster presentation on her research

Looking back at the past four years, I am most proud of the friendships I have made through my involvement with the Muslim Student Association. Finding a close-knit circle of friends within our large Wolfpack community has brought me a sense of belonging and support – serving as my anchor during both the highs and lows of college. 

This fall, I am thrilled to be starting my journey at the UNC School of Medicine! Although I am unsure of my future specialty, I aspire to place humanitarianism at the forefront of my medical practice. I hope that my medical training will equip me not only to treat patients, but also to understand the sociocultural and economic factors that influence their access to healthcare. With this knowledge, I aim to personalize my care to better meet the unique needs of each individual.

I am immensely grateful to the Park program and NC State for providing me with an unforgettable college experience. Go Pack!

Aisha’s first MSA general body meeting as president