Exploring New York City and Gaining Industry Experience

Originally published by Wilson College of Textiles news

Have you ever wondered what a day in the life of a fashion intern in New York City looks like? Wonder no more! Park Scholar from the Class of 2024 and Centennial Scholar Meredith Gaskill gives you an inside look at her New York City internship with a new vlog (video blog) on the Wilson College of Textiles YouTube page.

Gaskill, who is majoring in fashion and textile management with a concentration in brand management and marketing, interned with Macy’s Prestige Cosmetics at their New York City headquarters last summer. Watch the video above to learn more about her experience, or read the Q&A below!

Meredith Gaskill

• Intended Graduation: May 2024
  • Employer: Macy’s
  • Title: Buying Intern
  • Internship Location: New York, NY

What were your day-to-day responsibilities?

I did daily sales reporting and worked on various projects with my buying team! I did competitive research, trend analysis and Excel reporting in order to help my buyer with her tasks and strategies!

How did this experience impact your college plan/career trajectory? Do you still want to pursue the same types of jobs?

This experience gave me a lot of clarity on what type of job I want to look for within the fashion industry! It also showed me what it would be like to live in New York City before fully committing to a job there in the future!

Was there anything during your internship that surprised you?

I realized how interconnected everyone is in our industry and developed a network that I can keep in touch with moving forward! I learned a lot of our industry is about who you know, so I am going to keep networking and meeting people as I go!