Madeline Scott selected as the Community Impact Student Award winner for NC State

Adapted from NC State News

Madeline Scott ’25 recently attended the Community Impact Awards held on November 4, at NC State. This event brings civically-engaged student leaders together to share ideas and develop skills that help them be more effective in their community change efforts, while networking with their peers across the state. 

Madeline exhibited remarkable dedication and leadership within the Alternative Service Break (ASB) program, serving as a Team Leader for two consecutive years. Her exceptional commitment has been recognized through her appointment as the Course Specialist for the Team Leader course, where she mentors fellow peer leaders in crafting and executing meaningful international service experiences. Madeline answered a few questions about her passion for serivce and what is up next.

Tell us about the conference! What kinds of activities did you participate in and what were some of your biggest takeaways? 

This year’s CSNAP conference was focused on civil engagement and reducing partisanship in our own communities. I was able to hear from some wonderful speakers like Dr. Adi Wiezel, a social and political psychologist, as well as participate in a facilitated Braver Angels debate. It was really wonderful to see students from across North Carolina come together and respectfully and intentionally work together to bring lessons back to our own campuses. 

How did you learn about NC Campus Engagement?

I hadn’t heard about NC Campus Engagement or CSNAP before I got the notification about the award. I think it’s their first year back in person post-COVID, so I’m really fortunate to have had the opportunity to attend! Carly May, SLE’s Assistant Director of the Alternative Service Break program, nominated me!

Why is service and giving back important to you?

I firmly believe in the “love your neighbor “ philosophy, and that we all have a duty to give back to our communities that provide so much for us. There is a lot of need in our communities, and I think we all have a responsibility to address those needs with respect and open mindedness. It’s easy to think of issues like hunger or inaccessible healthcare as numbers, but these are real people who live right down the road, who deserve to be treated like human beings and not data.  I’m very privileged to be able to give my time back, and I’m so grateful that I’m able to serve my neighbors. If I was ever in a position where I needed a little extra help, and I very well may be at some point, I would hope to receive that same respect and dignity in return.  

What kind of activities are you involved in on campus?  

In terms of service, I volunteer at Urban Ministries twice a week in their open door clinic, help organize blood drives as the president of the Blood Connection at NC State, and am heavily involved in our ASB program as both a team lead and TA for the associated leadership course. ASB is really special because I’m not only able to serve communities around the world, but I’m able to build new servant leaders with every cohort that passes through the program. 

Outside of service, I work with Dr. Gordy as a TA for molecular genetics as well as a creator on the STEM BUILD project!

What is up next? Any more ASBs planned? 

Yes! In a broad sense, the ASB program is in the process of growing exponentially since COVID. Before the pandemic, we had 23 trips every spring break, which was narrowed down significantly. This year, we are back up to eight trips with plans to introduce a May trip and a few winter trips in 2024! For me specifically, I’m headed to southeast Alaska over spring break to work with the Hoonah City school system!