Shannon Carney ’23 Named 2023 Student Teacher of the Year

Shannon Carney receiving the 2023 North Carolina Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Student Teacher of the Year Award.

Originally published by Ryan Clancy, College Education News

Shannon Carney ’23, a recent graduate of the NC State College of Education’s mathematics education program and Park Scholar from the Class of 2023, has been named the North Carolina Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (NCACTE) Student Teacher of the Year.

The award is given each year to recognize the most outstanding student teacher in North Carolina. Carney was honored with the award at the NCACTE 2023 Fall Forum, which took place in Raleigh in September. 

“Receiving the NCACTE Student Teacher of the Year award is an incredible honor, especially after meeting the very impressive finalists who were nominated for the award,” Carney said. “What meant the most to me was having the opportunity to thank some of my biggest supporters after receiving the award.”

Her parents made the trip from Charlotte to attend, and Associate Teaching Professor Cyndi Edgington and Dean Paola Sztajn were also in attendance.

“It means the world to have family, friends and mentors who support my decision to pursue a career that can be challenging,” Carney said. “Of course, the award is also a huge vote of confidence, to know that so many people believe in me and my ability to be an excellent first-year teacher.”

Carney teaches Honors Math 1 and AP Pre-Calculus at Millbrook High School, the same school where she completed her student teaching experience.

“I’m in the same hallway of teachers who were so good to me during student teaching, actually in the very same classroom,” Carney said. 

Not only is Carney appreciative of the support she received and continues to receive from teachers at Millbrook, but she is also thankful for the preparation she underwent during her time in NC State’s College of Education.

“The math education professors at NC State are truly top notch,” Carney said. “Dr. Edgington, along with the other professors, are experts on what pre-service teachers absolutely must know to be successful in the classroom, and they know how to teach it well. I truly cannot think of anything I’ve needed for my first year of teaching that NC State’s math education program didn’t teach me.”

Now, she is excited to apply the lessons she has learned to the classroom.

“I am driven to teach by the potential I see in my students,” Carney said. “I see such bright futures ahead of them, and it is an honor to be even just a small part of their journey. In teaching, every day is an adventure and there’s never a boring day. I love what I do, and the days fly by, making me confident that I’m where I’m meant to be.”